Monday, June 7, 2010

My husband is in the Air Force. Can I work in England


My husband is in the Air Force. Can I work in England?
Hi, my husband in in the US Air Force, and we will be stationed in England. I am wondering if I can get a job in England, not on base, off base. I am a certified chef, and would like to learn and have cooking experience while I am there. Do I need to apply for a work permitt to work off base in England?
Military - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You can work on base. (Why would you ever even want to leave the base?)
2 :
Most likely you could work off base. As far as a work permit not sure but while I was in they accepted the spouse of military person to work outside the post. I would check your local USO or PCS station to find some of this information out...
3 :
Technically, yes. And a work visa. But there are lots of spouses who do it all the time. Just remember that the UK has an EXTREMELY high taxation rate, and you'll end up paying in about 40% of your salary to taxes and the NHS, and you can't opt out of either one. On the up side, you can choose to either exlude your foreign earned income (form 2555) or recieve a credit for taxes paid to a foreign gov't (form 1116). Which base are you headed to? We are currrently stationed in the UK. Feel free to contact me off YA.
4 :
you should be able to..a base agency will be able to let you know if you can.when we lived in japan there were quite a few spouses who worked off base and didnt have to have anything other than their passport...
5 :
depends on the SOFA regulations. Most do NOT permit spouses to work on the economy, as that is taking jobs away from Local Citizens.