Thursday, January 14, 2010

Will my phone from America work in England


Will my phone from America work in England?
I might be going on a study abroad program from my college to England and I want to make sure I won't have to get a new phone for just 3 months. Thanks for any and all SERIOUS answers!
Other - United Kingdom - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Probably not. You must go to your phone carrier and pay for that extra service. You may need to upgrade your phone also.
2 :
yes it will
3 :
Depends on your phone and who you are with. Most phones can be set up to make roaming calls, but beware...they will cost a fortune. You would be better keeping in touch through some internet based communication set up such as Skype
4 :
Yes it will there is a 50/50 chance yes or no that it will or wont work but call your carrier and ask you might have to pay an extra fee.
5 :
The more expensive U.S. phones (3-band and i-phones) do work in Europe, and you can buy discounted international roaming. Beware, though, that it may be hard to figure out how to dial calls, because the phone will act like it's in the U.S., and you'll have to dial international access codes for what would otherwise be local calls, and those can be hard to figure out. (On the other hand, the phone will be great for calling back to the U.S.) I have been told (but have never personally tried this, because I usually visit several different countries) that you can get a local SIM card for your compatible U.S. phone and that works very well in a single country. If you currently have a compatible phone, buying 3 months of international discounted coverage from your carrier may well be worth the effort. It has been for me.